Mother's Day Gift Ideas That Will Surprise
Author: India Date Posted:16 April 2021
While we think mothers and the other powerful mother-figures in our lives should be celebrated every day, life can get in the way and push acts of appreciation down the priority line. Mother’s Day is the perfect time to pull out all the stops and show our mums just how much we appreciate the work they do for us and our loved ones. Whether you show your love through physical affection, sentimental words or chocolate, we’ve got you covered. These Mother’s Day gift ideas are sure to give joy and encourage them to keep doing what they’re doing.
All this Mother’s Day talk has got me thinking…
History of Mother's Day
We’ve been celebrating the special women in our lives on the second Sunday in May since we can remember, but have you ever wondered how Mother’s day in Australia came to be?
It actually has quite solemn origins,
The first mother’s day in Australia was held in 1924 following World War I. Sydney woman Janet Heyden was a regular visitor at Newington State Hospital and noticed the growing population of lonely and forgotten mothers. The war had devastating effects on these women; some had lost their children and partners in the war and others lost the prospect of becoming mothers or wives, as a whole generation had been wiped out in the trenches of the Western Front.
Janet desperately wanted to acknowledge and support these very deserving women and successfully pioneered a campaign to donate gifts and messages of love to the grieving, lonely and the would-be mums. From this, Mother’s Day was born.
Now the history lesson is over let’s get into it…
Mother's Day Gift Ideas for Every Type of Mum
The best Mother’s Day gifts are the ones that will make her feel understood and listened to. But if she hasn’t been dropping any hints or she’s someone who has everything, we think we’ll have just the thing no matter what.
Here at Edible Blooms we know every mother and mother figure is different (I’m not a regular mum, I’m a cool mum!), which is why we’ve broken down our Mother’s Day gift ideas into categories of Types Of Mums.
Gift Ideas for the Adventure Mum
Adventure mum is a woman of simple pleasures, loving nothing more than getting out in nature with her loved ones. She thinks social media is stupid and is infuriatingly difficult to contact over the phone. If you’re close with an adventure mum you should be honoured, you’re real.
Material ‘things’ aren’t going to cut it for the adventure mum, she wants experiences:
- The adventure mum intentionally seeks out to get her adrenaline pumping (crazy right?!). Get her the ultimate adrenaline-producing experience in skydiving. If you dare, why not join her... because nothing says 'I love you' like throwing yourself out of a plane by her side.
Group Cooking Lesson
- She's notorious for her rigorous travel schedule, so the past year has been tough for her. With travel restrictions still in place for most of us, if she has a favourite destination and is missing the food, gift her a group cooking lesson in her favourite cuisine.
- For something a bit more low-key, spending quality time with the Adventure Mum is sure to be appreciated. Organise a camping trip or even a simple hike. If this isn't your usual thing she'll be so appreciative of the sacrifice you made for her.
Useful Gifts for the Boss Mum
The boss mum simply has her sh** together. She emits boss energy on the daily, managing school drop off, soccer practice and kills it in the office in between. Think Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada. She may seem a little cold at times, but everything she does is for her family and she loves you more than you could know (trust me!).
The boss mum has high standards so don’t mess this up. She may as well just do it herself if you’re not going to deliver.
- While it may seem simple, she probably has everything she needs, so DIY is the way to go. Find your favourite family photo (or snap a new one), and pop it in a cute frame. It'll be the perfect addition to her no doubt cluttered office desk, acting as a pick-me-up when things get hectic at work or an excuse for her to brag about you to anyone that sees it. Mums LOVE to brag
Essential Oil Diffuser
- For another office necessity, gift her an essential oil diffused and a de-stress tonic while you're at it. God knows she needs it.
Gifts for the Entertainer Mum
The entertainer mum is everyone’s best friend and what some call a ‘social butterfly’. She’s somehow ALWAYS put together and manages to find the perfect outfit for any occasion at the click of a finger. She feels her best while hosting and will find any excuse to throw a party – just got a new job? Party. Just recovered from a cold? Party. Just graduated primary school? Party. I could go on but you get what I’m saying… girly loves a party.
- Give her another excuse to throw a party or let her experience the other side of things with an Edible Blooms cheese hamper. Available in a number of different sizes and varieties showcasing the finest South Australian produce, there is sure to be something for everyone at the party
- For something more intimate, why not host a Mother's Day high tea for her. And don't worry about organising the food, this year Edible Blooms is offering a tiered high tea hamper full of all the classics. Be careful, you might even out-host her!
Boozy Gift with a Difference for the Wine Mum
Motherhood has worn the wine mum down to the point she needs something a little extra to help her through the slog. Her life motto is ‘it’s 5 o’clock somewhere’ and she loves nothing more than to sit down with other wine mums sink vino and exchange neighbourhood gossip. You might even catch her tagging her fellow mums in wine-related memes on Facebook, hilarious!
Wine and Champagne Hamper
- For this mum on Mother's Day, it's got to be wine. Often thought of as a 'safe' gift, at Edible Blooms a wine and champagne gift hamper is far from boring. Paired with a selection of delicious chocolates and other treats the wine mum is sure to be stoked.
Tear Jerking Gifts for the Sentimental Mum
The sentimental mum is as wholesome as the come and cries at everything you do (of pride of course). Like your year 12 English literature teacher, she’ll try and find the meaning in everything you do for her. Her house is full of the ugly arts and crafts you did as a kids and she insists they were works only a genius could have produced, adorable!
This is the best type of mum to buy for on mother’s day because she’s super easy to please. Just the fact that you thought of her is a gift in itself.
- But you need to get her something. One word... well technically three - D.I.Y. Think a heartfelt card with all the loving words and compliments, macaroni jewellery, the works.
- If DIY is not your thing, go for anything personalised. We think initial embroidered pyjamas or dressing gown will go down a treat
Hampers for the Mum Who Has Everything
As the name suggests, this mum has everything. Ugh! She doesn’t have time to wait for you to guess what she wants once a year, if she wants something, she’ll get it. Self-care is all the rage right now and this mum is definitely on board the self-care train and is not afraid to treat herself. As you shouldn’t sis!
You may be thinking this type of mum is hard to buy for… wrong! They’re actually the easiest to impress because anything is better than nothing, right?
Edible Blooms Gift Hamper
- You can't go wrong with a hamper. Edible Blooms offers a huge range of pamper hampers filled with all kinds of goodies, from candles, champagne, stunning plants and the most delicious treats that are sure to make mum feel like a queen.
Hampers for Every Style of Mum
We know all mum’s are different and special in their own ways, some of which were acknowledged in this list and no doubt some of which we’ve missed. Nonetheless all types of mums and mother-figures deserve to be spoilt and celebrated this Mother’s Day. We hope you’ve found a gift idea you reckon they’ll love opening Sunday May 9 and enjoy long after.
And if you’ve left it a little late, don’t fret! Edible Blooms offers nation-wide same day delivery to all major capital cities for all your last minute mother’s day gifts.
No matter who you’re celebrating, we just know these gift ideas are bound to give joy this Mother’s Day.