Father's Day 2023
FATHER'S DAY 2023
Celebrated on the first Sunday of September each year, Father’s Day in Australia is a special day dedicated to honoring and appreciating fathers and father figures. Father’s Day in 2023 will be celebrated on Sunday 3rd September.
Father’s Day was first celebrated on June 19, 1910 in the USA. It was initiated by Sonora Smart Dodd to honor her father, William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran who raised six children as a single parent. Since then, Father's Day has been celebrated annually in various countries to recognize and appreciate the role of fathers and father figures in our lives.
Frequently Answered Questions Concerning Father's Day
About Father's Day Australia
Most Australia’s refer to their Father as ‘Dad’, however, Father’s Day in Australia is still formally named ‘Father’s Day’.
Father's Day is a time to express love and gratitude to fathers, grandfathers, stepfathers, and all father figures. It is an occasion to acknowledge their contributions, sacrifices, and their important role in our lives.
How is Father's Day Celebrated in Australia?
On Father's Day, families often celebrate by spending quality time together, sending or making thoughtful gifts. Some of the most popular gifts are handmade creations delivered on Father's Day alongside a big smile. Other popular gifts include sharing a special meal and organizing outings or a personalised Father's Day gift. Personalising Dad’s gift with his favourite, beer, craft beer, whiskey, gin, chocolate or gourmet foods lets him know that you’re thinking about him personally. No matter what the gift, no gift is too small for a father or father figure to enjoy.
Often in Australia, children don’t live in the same city or town as their Father so delivering a gift on Father’s Day is a popular choice.
Father's Day Gift Ideas
- Personalised gifts: Customised items that show thoughtfulness and reflect Dad’s interests.
- Uploading your favourite photo of you and your Dad on his Father’s Day gift.
- Gifts inspired by golf or his favourite sports interests.
- Gourmet Father's Day Hampers: Indulge your father with a selection of delicious treats and beverages.
- Craft beer and cheese hampers have become popular in Australia more recently and gifts inspiring him to sample new breweries are popular.
- Selecting your Dad’s favourite coffee or tea with a reusable mug.
- Experience gifts: Plan a memorable experience such as a picnic, hot air balloon ride, fishing trip, or spa day.
When is Father's Day in Australia?
Father's Day in Australia is celebrated on the first Sunday of September. In 2023, it falls on September 3rd.
Interesting Father's Day Facts
- Inspired by Mother's Day, Sonora Smart Dodd is credited with establishing the modern celebration of Father's Day. She wanted to honor her father, a Civil War veteran who raised six children as a single parent.
- The first official Father's Day was celebrated in the United States on June 19, 1910.
- Father's Day is celebrated on different dates worldwide. In Australia and New Zealand, it is celebrated on the first Sunday of September. In The United Kingdom, the USA, China and Canada they celebrate Father’s Day on the Third Sunday of June each year.
- Ties are one of the most popular Father's Day gifts. The tradition of gifting ties originated in the early 20th century.
Best Dad Jokes That Are Great For Father's Day
- What’s orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot.
- Did you hear about the woman who couldn't stop collecting magazines? She had issues.
- Why do bees have stick hair? Because they use a honeycomb.
- Did you hear about the guy who drank invisible ink? He's at the hospital waiting to be seen.
- What do you call a fake noodle? An Impasta
- What did the apple say to the kangaroo? Nothing. Apples can’t talk.
- Where do walls meet after work? The corner.
- Why don’t pirates take a bath? They prefer to wash up on shore.
Popular Father's Day Gift Card Messages
Our gift card messages come in a variety of forms. Some can be sincere, thoughtful, funny and a little sarcastic. We're sure Dad will appreciate them all.
- On Father's Day and every day, I hope you know how much you're loved.
- Dad, I love you from my head tomatoes!
- No matter the distance between our homes, the distance between our hearts will never change.
- Thanks for being a free Taxi! Love you...
Father's Day Dates Worldwide
Check out the table below for important Father's Day dates in various countries:
|United States||Third Sunday of June|
|Australia||First Sunday of September|
|United Kingdom||Third Sunday of June|
|Canada||Third Sunday of June|
|China||Third Sunday of June|
|New Zealand||First Sunday of September|