Composting. It's a win win!!
Author: Verity Webb Date Posted:4 November 2015
We have been reading up on composting here at Green Thumbs this week. And we are chomping at the bit to get home and start our very own compost pile.
Composting is a super way to make nutrient rich soil by reusing food waste from your kitchen.
What you will need...
What goes into the compost pile...
Here are a few easy steps to follow to get started...
1. Choose a shady secluded corner of your yard to begin emptying scraps into.
2. This area should be nice and shady so the soil doesn’t dry out too quickly and also secluded so any cheeky little pets you might have, don’t get in there and start helping themselves!
3. Empty all scraps onto the designated patch of soil daily, gently covering with soil.
4. Leave the pile for around 2-3 weeks before disturbing it, to give it a chance to work it’s magic.
5. By that time you should begin to see the food waster breaking down and working into the soil. You should also see some wriggly little worms in there lending a hand. This is perfect and exactly what you want to see!
So there you have it. It is so easy and the end product will be far better than any potting mix you can buy from the hardware store :-)
Happy composting Greenies! xxx